CARING FOR YOUR FURNITURE
Preventative Care & Maintenance For Your Wood Furniture:
Furniture is an investment that should provide many years of use and enjoyment. The proper care and treatment of your furniture will help to maintain the original beauty and finish.
- Please follow any care and maintenance tips or directions that accompanied your wood furniture. The following are only suggestions. Please call or visit the website of the manufacturer of your furniture for more information on precise cleaning and care instructions as it relates to your specific furniture.
- Keep furniture away from heating and air conditioning sources to prevent loss of moisture in the wood.
- Use a felt backing on lamps, ashtrays and other accessories to prevent scratching and gouging.
- Use place mats under plates and hot pads under serving dishes when serving hot food.
- Put houseplants in drip-proof pots and keep foliage from touching furniture surfaces to prevent moisture damage to wood.
- Always use a protective pad when using your furniture as a writing surface.
- Use coasters under both hot and cold drinks.
- Lift and place items instead of sliding across furniture surfaces.
- Blot up spills promptly. Water left over a prolonged period of time will cause white spots in the finish. Alcohol, perfume, after-shaves, lotions and medicines can cause severe furniture damage.
- Do not place synthetic rubber or plastic items directly on wood to avoid a chemical change to the furniture finish.
- Do not leave newspapers or magazines lying on wood furniture due to possible ink "bleeding" into the furniture finish and wood.
- Avoid using nail polish remover or other harsh household products near wood furniture to avoid possible damage from spills or splashes.
- Rotate the placement of accessories on wood furniture surfaces from time to time to redistribute wear patterns.
- Dust in the direction of the grain with a clean, soft, lint-free cloth. If desired, lightly polish your furniture in the direction of the grain with a clean, soft, lint-free cloth.
Color change is a natural phenomenon of wood. Woods change color with prolonged exposure to ultraviolet light coming from windows and fluorescent lighting. Cherry wood veneer color changes are most rapid, taking on a darker, "golden" tone with age. Walnut will lighten with "golden" hues. Oak will darken and yellow slightly. As a rule, lighter colored finishes (ie: Henna Cherry and Red Cherry) are more apt to show these color changes compared to darker finishes (ie: Mahogany and Walnut). Darker colors act as a "sun block" and reduce the aging effect.
We recommend that for the first year, you occasionally move the items kept on your furniture, such as frames, decorative items, vases, to a different location on the surface to allow uniform amounts of light to reach all surface areas. This will help prevent light or dark spots from occuring. All wood manufacturers have the same issues, so the same care can be applied to any veneer product.
For Smooth Drawer Operation:
- To maintain proper operation of the drawer suspension, lubricate the area housing the ball bearings every three to six months with a high quality petroleum jelly type lubricant.
- To ensure correct drawer alignment, your furniture must be leveled. Check the level and adjust the glides if necessary.
- To keep pulls and hardware looking new, we recommend using a window type cleaner for all decorative hardware.
Furniture manufacturer's today utilize a variety of materials and specialized finishes on furniture, designed to protect the furniture during regular use. What can you do to protect the finish on your furniture? Cleaners, waxes, and polishes are available to help protect the finish on all of your furniture from scratches and abrasions.
Cleaning and polishing your furniture should be done on a regular basis. Dust attracts moisture, which can accumulate and soften the finish on your furniture. This can lead to further damage, possibly to the wood itself.
There are a variety of furniture care products readily available at most department stores, hardware centers, supermarkets and also here at InnoMax.
Regular care and maintenance will give you the years or satisfaction that you expected when purchasing your home furnishings.